Tank

Tank
The Sous Chef updating the recipe posts!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Kale Chips

Nathan and I started going to a new workout facility together. It's called RAW Training. It's a great place that focuses on high intensity training. You do 3 major workouts and none for more than a 10-15 minute period and are in and out in an hour. We love it. Not because of the hour workout thing, but because they kick our butts! They push both of us to our limits and sometimes it's hard to find people that can do that. Our group has everyone from seasoned athletes to moms to kids half our age. It's an awesome place. The reason I'm talking about RAW is because after every session they like to have all the class participants sit around to discuss nutrition. I think this is a great approach. After doing the figure competition this past spring, I'm highly convinced that diet is 80% of how you look. The most recent discussion we had was on Kale Chips! I love Kale Chips and think they are a GREAT snack to keep around. I made some yesterday and we snacked on them between meals and really curbed my salt craving.

Kale is a form of cabbage and is highly nutritious. It has tons of antioxidants. Just make sure when you prepare it, that you wash it off and dry it thoroughly. I just use paper towels and make sure I get it pretty dry. Also, you can add ANY seasonings you can think of to it and make a great chip. I've tried red pepper flakes, basil and Parmesan, salt and pepper, all kinds of Mrs. Dash, and anything else I have sitting around. I haven't had a bad kale chip yet!

1 Bunch of washed and Dried Kale
Sea Salt, to taste
Olive Oil, for drizzling
*Along with any other seasoning you like

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  • Take each individual Kale leaf and cut out the large thick stem and discard. You want to make the chips out of the leaves.
  • Lay each kale leaf onto parchment paper and drizzle olive oil (lightly) followed by salt and any other seasoning you want to add.
  • Bake for 10-15 minutes. The chips burn easily, so after 10 minutes, start to check every minute!  (11 minutes usually is the perfect time for my chips, some come out crispy and some a little chewier, but I get a good mix at this point.)
Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment