1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or sugar free chocolate chips if you have them)
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups black beans (I used 1 and a 1/2 cans of beans, check the sodium content, shouldn't be more than 150mg. Giant Eagle's Natures Basket Brand of Organics has a good canned black bean)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 c instant espresso powder or coffee powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 large eggs (2-whites, 2- whole)
1/2 c agave nectar
1/2 c turbinado sugar (natural sugar cane)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 11 x18" rimmed baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray. The parchment paper makes it alot easier to get the brownies out of the pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave (about 1 min. 30 seconds on high). Then mix together to blend butter and chocolate.
- Put half of the chocolate and butter mixture into a blender or food processor. Add in beans and vanilla extract. Blend well. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl (I tend just use a mixer for this), mix together walnuts, remaining chocolate/butter mixture, instant espresso/coffee, salt, eggs, agave nectar, and turbinado sugar. Mix well.
- Pour blender mixture (chocolate, butter, beans, and vanilla) into the mixing bowl mixture and blend all together very well.
- Pour the batter into the parchment lined baking pan and spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool completely before cutting.