2 c chopped red onion
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 c low sodium chicken broth (check the label for the sodium content, it may SAY low-sodium, but may be only a few mg lower. I found that usually the organic chicken broths are the best at staying pretty low.)
1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
1/4 c fresh curly parsley, chopped
1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed
1 c frozen lima beans
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 c unsalted nut butter (when i say 'nut butter', i mean, you can pick what kind of 'nut' butter you want, such as almond, cashew, peanut butter, whatever you like. Make sure when you pick out a 'nut' butter that it is unsalted and look at the ingredients and make sure there are no articifical ingredients added (such as palm oil, etc., should basically only be the 'nut' of choice and sometimes a little salt may be added). I use Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.
- In a large non stick pan, saute onions, pepper, and black pepper for a few minutes. (about 3 minutes on medium heat)
- Add broth, chicken, and parsley.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Add apple, lima beans, salt, and cayenne pepper to the broth.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and whisk in 'nut' butter until well blended.