Tank

Tank
The Sous Chef updating the recipe posts!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Raspberry - Orange Oat Scone

I wanted to attempt scones again. My first attempt at making scones wasn't so great, so I figured I would try something different. Nathan wanted orange in it somehow and I love raspberries so I used both in the recipe and it came out great. I made it more into a log and cut them into scones afterwards instead of making them into individual scones. Also, I made sure to find no sugar added jelly for the filling. I'm going to try a few more versions of this to cut back on the sugar/fat even more, but this first test batch was really good.

2 c whole wheat flour
1 c whole wheat graham flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter
2 c oats
zest of 1 orange
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 c 2% milk
1/4 c turbinado sugar
1/2 c no sugar added raspberry jelly

  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Combine flour, turbinado sugar, baking powder,  and baking soda in a food processor/blender.
  • Add butter into the mixture and pulsate until the dough starts to look like sandy clumps.
  • Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir in oats and zest.
  • Stir in buttermilk and milk (I stirred everything in a bowl for awhile then just started to use my hands.) If the dough is still really crumbly, add more 2% milk, but add it slowly, because it will get sticky and runney quickly, which you don't want. This dough is suppose to be on the dryer side.
  • Lay a piece of parchment paper out and transfer dough onto parchment paper.
  • Roll out the dough with another piece of parchment paper on top to make into a rectangle like shape about the length of the baking sheet.
  • Take the top parchment paper off, and begin to spoon in the jelly right down the middle of the dough. Try to spread as evenly as possible.
  • Take the edge of the parchment paper and fold the one side of the dough and gently press down to hold, then do the same to the other side. Try to get the loaf as tight as possible so that it stays intact.
  • Just pick up the parchment paper with the loaf in the middle and place on a baking sheet to bake.
  • Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Make sure you let the loaf cool before cutting into scones.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Loren, I made these for last Sunday's breakfast, and they turned out perfectly! My family loves it! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete